Getting a name for being a table fish is not nice! Having all the crazy poker guys chasing you because you’ve somehow developed a name for being soft is the most hurtful thing known to man. At this moment in time I seem to be the player everyone wants to see in a hand. How has it got to this?
One time I was known for being a very tight but aggressive player. Yes I would bluff, but most of the time I got away with it and regularly finished in the money. However, trying to change or even mix up my image has not been a success. It has made me seem simple and a bit of a chancer. This then give normally loose players a reason to call me.
There is a guy we play with who is the epitome of being a fish so when I got trip kings and he raised giving me a perfect opportunity to re-raise, he called and his trip 6 manage to hit the six on the river giving his 4 of a kind! In the past even this fish would have realised that I had trip Kings and would have folded his hand. Now he is happy to call me.
I am trying some Shinshin-tōitsu-dō as a way of getting my mojo back. A friend highly recommends this Japanese yoga thing and I need to recover some poise to stop my haemorrhaging cash at an alarming rate.
The aim of Shinshin-tōitsu-dō is to realise the potential of the human being practising the art. So ultimately it will make me a better human being and hopefully banish the demons which are plaguing my game. Here are the 6 Qualities:
|tai-ryoku (体力)||the power of the body||physical strength, health and endurance|
|tan-ryoku (胆力)||the power of courage|
|handan-ryoku (判断力)||the power of decision||good judgement|
|danko-ryoku (断行力)||the power of determination||willpower for resolute and decisive action|
|sei-ryoku (精力)||the power of vitality||energy or life power for endurance and perseverance|
|nō-ryoku (能力)||the power of ability||the capacity of wide ranging ability and dexterous action|
I really need to sort out handan-ryoku which is the art of good judgement. In poker having good judgement is a must and for some reason my judgement has gone to pot.
Here is the break down of what I need to do, wish me luck!
- Use the mind in a positive way (fudōshin resulting in “ki no dashikata” i.e. the projection of life energy).
- Examine the self.
- Analyse suggestions received from your environment.
- Examine your attitude towards others.
- Discover the present and let the worrying about the future or the past fall away.
- Experience the universal mind.
- Use the mind with full concentration.Use the body naturally.
- Concentrate on matters you are familiar with.
- Concentrate on matters you wish to accomplish in a hurry.
- Concentrate on matters you believe are uninteresting.
- Concentrate on matters you believe are of no value.
- Train the body gradually, systematically and continuously.